Thursday, April 8, 2010

Updates

Just want to apologize for not letting you people know I was still alive. Yes, Indonesia had an earthquake but no, it didn't affect our island. I am still alive and I was blissfully unaware of anything significant going on in Indonesia until I saw my Facebook full of concerned messages. Thank you for your concern. Its nice to know people care about me.

Now onto updates. I was away last week on the east part of the island in another country called Timor L'este. Timor island is funny cuz half of it is in Indonesia and the other half is a small country. Timor L'este has had a history of turmoil and as I understand it it was occupied by the Portuguese for several hundred years until sometime in the 1970s and when Indonesia began occupying it. The East Timorese wanted to be independent, however, and this desire to be separate from Indonesia ended in a bloody conflict in 1999. Timor L'este (or East Timor) has been independent ever since but it has needed aid and support from many international organizations including the UN. I had to leave Indonesia for visa purposes as I have to do every six months and since TL is the closest country to me I went there. There are also several Canossian communities there (the order of Sisters whom I work with).

I met other volunteers with my program, VOICA, in TL, however. I met two Italians, Francesca and Gionata, and one American from Iowa, Trisha. They're amazing people. I had a wonderful time and for a short while I actually had a social life. I actually got to attend Mass in English! It was fantastic and the priest who presided over all the English Holy Week Masses, Fr. Angel, is amazing. He's from Spain and he's Claretian and, therefore, very funny and fun.

While in TL I met many people from all over the world, due to the many international aid organizations there. I met Spanish people, Australians, Congolese, Brazilians, Portuguese. I enjoyed it very much because of this. I love meeting people from different places.

Dili the city where I stayed is on the northern coast of the island and I spent a few afternoons on the beaches of Dili. It was amazing. The water was kind of warm which was not to my liking because I am used to California cold ocean water but the beach and the view was amazing. I took pics which I wish could post. Someday I will, however.

On Good Friday, I spent the morning doing the Way of the Cross up a hillside. It was a little difficult hike because of the terrain and the heat and humidity but not so bad considering there were thousands of people and we were going at a slow pace. The view of the city from there was incredible also. I liked that I was able to remember Christ's sacrifice in this manner. It was amazing. I liked that no matter where people were standing, on dirt, leaves, or jagged rocks they still all knelt at each station. It was a good way to spend Good Friday.

Easter Sunday was spent at Mass then with the Canossian sisters at two communities in Dili for lunch and dinner. It was nice. I enjoyed my time there. I was sorry, however, that I could not spend Holy Week with my community of Nurobo. I wanted to be there with the people but it was unfortunate that I needed to exit Indonesia the weekend right before Holy Week.

Okay I have to get going now so I will conclude quickly with letting you know that Mary and I have a horrible mouse in our house. I am thoroughly disgusted at the thought. Also while I was gone some birds broke through a rusted screen in the window of my room and built a nest on my desk. I also sat on gum the other day and got it all over my good black slacks. Oh well that's life...in Indonesia anyway. Miss you guys. Until next time. (Apologies for any errors on this blog, I have no time to edit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment