Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Two Stepping

So this past weekend was entertaining. A group of youth from a religious community about two hours away from Nurobo (my community) came to spend the weekend at our community parish. There was a soccer game on Saturday and a volleyball game on Sunday. There was live music provided by our awesome Canossian Guys' Band. They played many Indonesian tunes. I was asked to sing as I usually am asked to and I responded excitedly with the same response I always give "Ok!...No." They did just fine without my glorious voice, however, so it was no big deal.

I also learned to two step this weekend. Saturday night I got many invitations to dance and I refused many people saying "Saya tidak bisa" or "Saya tidak tahu," meaning "I can't" and "I don't know how." I felt really bad about rejecting these guys so when the opportunity to learn the next day came I took it. Well really the moment was forced upon me. Mary had danced with the sweet young guy who works for the priests the night before and she said he was a good dancer and a good leader and that if I wanted to learn I should ask him. Well Mary and I were at the Pastoral House when Mary came across this young man and she asked him to teach me how to dance. He accepted. I accepted being taught. I felt really embarrassed, however, because I really can't do partner dancing but he was kind and patient and by the time we were through dancing several times I actually think I got better and by better I mean I was no longer really bad just bad.

By the way, guess what? The Italians are coming, the Italians are coming...and one American. Our volunteer counterparts on the other side of the island are coming to visit us. I think they'll be in for a surprise when they realize how much less we have here compared to what they're used to. For example, we do not have canned tomato sauce like they do, we also do not have mozarella cheese like they do so this means no pizza. I wish we had these ingredients because, Francesca, one of the Italian volunteers made some awesome pizza when we visited her in Dili a few weeks ago. Okay well my ride is here so I gotta go.

Oh btw, got rid of the mouse. It took three men to chase out one little mouse. I helped, though, by screaming and climbing on a chair and basically staying out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment