Thursday, February 25, 2010

Okay keeping my Lenten promise, I am updating!

So what has happened in the last week. Well Mary and I had a visit from a few of the seminarians we taught over Christmas. I was very happy to see them. I'm afraid I appear very clingy with the priests and seminarians from there. Well its their fault for making Mary and I enjoy our time with them.

Still teaching at the middle school and am still surprised that I enjoy it. I enjoy it in the moment that I am teaching but I absolutely HATE preparing for lessons! Its a necessary evil, though, as not being prepared would make me not enjoy my in the moment teaching as it kind of did yesterday when I forgot to translate an English paragraph from a textbook for the English reading part of their lesson. I ended up fumbling through my English-Indonesian dictionary for about 10 min of my lesson. That was not enjoyable.

We visited my Indonesian teacher and his wife in their home yesterday evening. I appeared rude because I spoke very little because I was exhausted from having taught all day. I tried to think of things to say but focusing on speaking and listening to a foreign language when you're exhausted is even more difficult than when you're not exhausted.

I just remembered I wanted to tell you about the electricity in Indonesia. Okay the lights go out practically everyday here. Two to three days out of the week they go out at night which makes making dinner a real pain in the ass. Have you ever tried to make a dinner in the dark? It sucks. The lights stay out the entire night so there's not much to do after dinner except talk in the dark and pray in the dark and then its off to bed. I have tried studying Indonesian in the dark and its no fun. Imagine how difficult it is for students who have no electricity to study every night?

Okay my ride from the internet place is here so I have to cut this short. Until later.

1 comment:

  1. i feel you on the no eectricity thing. once in a small village during dinner, me and some volunteers played a game of ¨guess what we´re eating?¨ but hey, praying in the dark is no problem, right?

    ReplyDelete