Thursday, July 16, 2009

Visitors

So this past weekend we had guests. They were a Polish couple, named Sally and Chris, that had returned from their mission in East Timor. They were an incredibly cute and kind couple. They told our group about East Timor. They seemed to have been almost fluent in Tatu or whatever the language that is spoken in East Timor is. Did you guys know that East and West Timor have very distinct languages? East Timor's language derives greatly from Portuguese whereas West Timor has more of a Dutch influence. It's kinda weird because they're one small island. I know, I know, boring but I just thought I'd give you some cocktail party knowledge ( random knowledge to throw around at cocktail parties so that you appear smart).

It might also interest you to know that I played soccer or futbol with Chris and Martin and Tomas. Chris was my partner and, I felt bad for him because of course I played badly. It was really my first time ever playing soccer. He was incredibly kind, however. I credit Chris, however, for my increased interest in playing soccer. I have played two more times this past week and have improved slightly but I am by no means a natural.

My newly found interest in soccer has not taken away from my interest in baseball, however. I would formally like to state that I am extremely disappointed that yet again, for the 12th year in a row, the National League lost in this past Tuesday's All Star Game. It really is pathetic when the President of the U.S. brings this fact to the attention of the nation. I apologize for the tangent but I am upset for the 12th year in a row!

Anyway after Chris and Sally came and went we received another guest, Sally's sister, Dagmara, who has worked on and off in East Timor for the past three years. She says the best thing about her missionary work has been the people and the worst thing she's ever had to deal with was the time when their was conflict in the region and all volunteers had to be evacuated. Dagmara said it was very difficult for her to leave because she didn't think it was fair that she should get to leave the island when the Timorese people had no way of escaping the violence themselves. She said she had refused to go with all the volunteers that were being evacuated but finally she had no choice and was forced to go with the last group leaving.

We have had many visitors in the VOICA house and they have all been interesting and inspiring. Okay well I gotta go cuz Martin is reading over my shoulder. 'Til next time.

1 comment: